Monday, May 01, 2006

the squeaky carrot


Dogs can really bring out the patience in a person. Prior to getting Gordie - a super-sweet golden retriever who is also so smart he broke the bottle-bowling record at puppy kindergarten Olympics - a dog chewing a squeaky toy while I would be trying to watch TV or have a conversation, no matter how mundane, would have been cause for a rise in my blood pressure and a severe testing of my patience. And as anyone who has ever lived with me can attest, patience is not one of my virtues.

Enter Gordie, and his favorite toy in the world: a $2.99 squeaky carrot from PetValu. That dog could chew that carrot pretty much anywhere at anytime* and it's like something in my brain (or my heart) switches on and dulls the noise that grates the nerves. I think it might be puppy love.

(*Okay, I admit I would take the carrot away at 3:00 am. And you may have noticed that the carrot in question was photographed as it lay on the lawn in the backyard, where it remains. I said I was getting more patient. I didn't say I was becoming some kind of Mother Teresa.)

0 sweet nothing: