Thursday, May 18, 2006

the [truncated] love song of w. lee so-and-so


the [truncated] love song of w. lee so-and-so

Let us go then, you and I
Ten years past, how time does fly
Would I've remembered, were it not for
Classmates.com, who would tell me more
If I'd only "Just sign up now
For the special introductory offer!
And we'll tell you all about who's-that-again? and what's-his-name?
Maybe they'll be in the gutter!"

And I could smile smugly, half a country away
And what if? I paid $4.95 for three months
To talk to Curtis S., or Shawna M.
What in the world would I say?

Lament for an era I bid good riddance to long ago? (A decade, exact)
Play chess with our accomplishments?
Checkmate! (while maintaining tact
Because living well is the best revenge
Or so They say; those, no teenage wounds to avenge).

And at the reunion, the women (still girls) will come and go
Gossiping about you-know-who and so-and-so.

And of course there is no time
To prepare my face to meet the faces from a decade past
And certainly no time to prepare my waist
"A size 28? An Adoring and Wonderful Husband? A beautiful Babe?"
Murmurs about Me, now of higher caste.
No. There is no time for the hundred visions and revisions
How would I reinvent myself? The decisions...

And at the reunion, the women (still girls) will come and go
Gossiping about you-know-who and so-and-so.

And so before I knew about it I already knew
The answers to the questions, "Do I dare?" and, "Do I dare?"
Stiff and frozen smiles
[They will lie: "It's so nice to see you!"]
A dress, over-priced
[They will wax indifferently: "So what have you been up to lately?"]
Do I dare? Do I dare disturb the universe?
No. Like most of my fellow graduands, I suppose
I choose to check the box, "No Show."

I grow old . . .I grow old . . .
And I say nuts to them all.

***

(PS: Curtis S. or Shawna M.: If you're out there, you should call me. It would be great to see you. I would love to hear what you've been up to the last ten years.)

0 sweet nothing: