Wednesday, September 20, 2006

four reasons to buy the book

Page 62: You can live your whole life following the path of least resistance. No risks, no unknowns, no discomfort. And goodness knows that we all dream of a tombstone that reads, “I was comfortable.”

Page xiii: The popularity of blogging amazes and inspires me. Here are millions of people who’ve found a format that makes them eager to publish. For many bloggers, their sites are the first place they’ve voluntary written or produced a project in their lives. This is huge! It’s a Renaissance in personal expression! It’s an astonishing historical record! It’s the voice of an entire people! It’s an awesome way to K.I.T.!

Page 22: When I’m finished reading a book, I pull all the passages I’ve underlined and post them on my site. It helps me to remember why I loved a book, and tells my readers whether they might like it too.

So many ideas, so much margin space in which to jot your inspiration. At about 25 cents (taxes in.) per idea, is it pricey? Maybe. But it will probably go to the same spot my two-page Short-Cut to the English Language guide went, the one they made me buy for English 101 in my first year university that I used all the way up to grad school so I would know where semi-colons went, and how to footnote electronic resources properly: not too far away from the computer, just in case I need it. No One Cares What You Had for Lunch: 100 Ideas for Your Blog? Recommended, if only so you can tell when someone is using his or her own fodder, or is poaching from the book, and 25 cents for THAT kind of righteous self-satisfaction is a price you just can’t beat, my friends. It’s a price you just can’t beat.

0 sweet nothing: