Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Emily Post-ing

Not acceptable: Responding with a scant “Okay” when someone mannered acknowledges thanks. (I am thinking Jeannie Lee from CBC Newsworld here. Love her, but would it kill her to properly respond to Heather Hiscox's “Thank you” with a simple “Yer welcome?”)

Acceptable: An “I know” to someone’s “I love you.” “I love you” doesn’t always need to be volleyed back with “I love you too.” What better way than "I know" to tell someone their actions need not be prefaced or summarized through three small words that - while nice to hear, don’t get me wrong - are only just words? “I know” says “I feel it. You show me your love for me when you feed me, when rush through your own pee so I can have mine, when you carry all the heavy bags in after an afternoon of grocery shopping, when you humanely dispose of the rodents that infest our basement, even if do I have to get on your ass to do it. I don’t need you to tell me you love me, because you show me that you do.”

1 sweet nothing:

Bird said...

I totally agree with the I love you thing. I hate when people get offended that you don't say I love you too, it makes you feel like they only said it to hear it back.