Sunday, October 01, 2006

Project RACE, the conclusion?

So that's it. It's done. Months of training for a measly 30:22 (!) 5k run looping the Parliament Buildings and Museum of Civilization. It was a nice morning for a run...after the cold, cold rain stopped viscously spitting on me, just minutes before the horn blew. The blustery weather prevented the Babe and Adoring and Wonderful Husband from seeing me off, or digitally recording my departure from and arrival at the finish line for posterity, and this blog. The urge to pee the minute we pulled out of the driveway wasn't quelled by the prospect of toilets at the run site, toilets of the Porta variety. I held it as I stood alone in the chilly wetness and vainly searched for H. or B., feeling sorry for myself just long enough to remember I still had boobies, and my mom, and less fat on my bum than I had just a few short months ago when I nervously filled in the on-line registration form, thinking "What am I DOING this for? What if I FAIL?" The same feeling I just had as I filled out the form for the 10k Resolution Run on New Year's Eve (but don't worry; this one won't cost you anything. It's just for me.)

So in the end you all contributed a total of $390.00. Thank-you so, so much! And I would be remiss if I didn't give extra special thanks to the following two extra special people who helped me reach my goals: H., for cracking the whip as I huffed and puffed my way during the early days at Strollercizing (and also her words of encouragement when I wheezed to her "I don't think I can do this!"), and Adoring and Wonderful Husband, for standing on the front step with the Babe in arm, waiting to cheer me on as I come around the corner.

While it may be true that the important things in life are more about the journey than the destination, it's still pretty cool to get to where you're going (especially if there's a warm and clean toilet at the end of the line). See you next year.

3 sweet nothing:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, W.! You rock!

Hugs and Kisses said...

Way to go baby. 46:48 is my best 5km time sans canine. I'm looking forward to running with you.

Heather and Robin said...

Winter that is awesome....Congratulations are definitely in order....good work!!! I still can't believe you are doing that resolution run...you are crazy and inspiring!!!