Friday, December 01, 2006

partisan politics (otherwise known as: drinking for free)

Currently sitting on the floor of my bedroom killing time on the computer. The Babe is in our bed napping so I am confined to this room for now to make sure he doesn't fall off the bed. I could just let him sleep in his own room but he sleeps so much better in the great big bed that Gido built, and after waking up at 6 am this morning, I figure he needs his sleep. So, just keeping abreast of Brit's, ahem, and the ongoings of the Liberal leadership race. You know you're a nerd when the latter excites you more than the former.

Adoring and Wonderful Husband thinks the CBC coverage of the convention shows its extreme liberal/Liberal bias. I see how he can argue that, but I don't think that assertion captures the whole story. The Liberals governed this country for, what, 13 years? How could any national news organization not privilege that particular party in its coverage? It's not a conspiracy; it's only natural. Especially after the brouhaha of the Sponsorship scandal and the electoral fall-out that resulted. It's been decades since a leadership contest has been this exciting, and far from condemning the CBC's enthusiastic coverage of it, I say: Bring. It. Fan the flames of a hotly contested race for the top. Charge the electricity of what hopefully turns out to be an inspired and inspiring weekend. Canadians could use a political event that's not a fait accompli before it's even started. We need to know that the grassroots matters, and that one vote can make a difference. One party's campaign for the top job is not a panacea for this country's atrophy of democracy, but it sure as heck can't hurt (especially if one of them happens to shit the bed during his speech. How. exciting. would. THAT. BE??) Anyway, I know what Adoring and Wonderful Husband and I will be watching this weekend. Which is good, because I've had enough of Britney's bald eagle to last until Monday.

1 sweet nothing:

Anonymous said...

Glad to know I'm not the only one. I spent the last two days glued to CBC. Really, these are the political junkies major sporting events aren't they?
cam