Thursday, May 11, 2006

the view from here


How I Planned to Spend My Days, Pre-Baby:

8:00 a.m.: rise and shine after a restful slumber
8:05 - 8:30: leisurely breakfast of cottage cheese, fruit and coffee; watch the morning news, or listen to a little Coldplay
8:30 - 10:00: relaxing stroll through the field with Gordie and the Babe, maybe stop at Tim Horton's or Starbucks for another java
10:00 - 10:30: come home, take a refreshing shower, put on my face and get ready to tackle the day
10:30 - 11:30: clean entire house, Martha Stewart style
11:30 - 12:00 p.m.: cook a nutritious and delicious lunch for my Adoring and Wonderful Husband, Martha Stewart style
12:00 - 1:00: eat lunch with Adoring and Wonderful Husband whilst fawning over the Babe
1:00 - 4:00: Free Time! for gardening, painting, scrapbooking, reading, baking, writing, etc. etc., Martha Stewart style
4:00 - 4:45: nap with the Babe
4:45: Adoring and Wonderful Husband comes home (with flowers), tells me about his day whilst swooning over the Babe
5:00 - 6:00: cook and consume a nutritious and delicious supper, Martha Stewart style
6:00 - 7:30: go for a family walk, or engage in some other equally beneficial exercise
7:30 - 10:00: Free Time! for dragon boating, visiting friends, putzing around in the backyard, etc. etc.
10:00 p.m.: settle in for a night of uninterrupted sleep

(n.b.: I did feed the Babe when I was envisaging these days, but it was at my convenience and there wasn't any...ahem...leakage.)

***

How My Days Actually Go:

3:30 a.m.: wake up to the Babe fussing, wipe the sleep out of my eyes and whip out a boob
4:15: change poopy diaper
4:30: settle in for three hours (please, God!) of uninterrupted sleep
7:00: wake up to the Babe fussing, wipe the sleep out of my eyes and whip out a boob
7:45: change poopy diaper; swoon over the Babe - who at the moment is happy - with Adoring and Wonderful Husband
8:00: Adoring and Wonderful Husband abandons me and the Babe for the day ("I'll get you my pretty, and your little dog too!")
8:01: wash and dress the Babe
8:05: brush teeth
8:06: calm fussy Babe
8:15: dress self in yesterday's attire
8:17: calm fussy Babe
8:30: go downstairs
8:35: wolf down toast and o.j., and any other carbs I can get my hands on; watch CBC Newsworld to see what new stupid thing Maurice Vellacott did today
9:00 - 9:45: go for relaxing stroll through the field with Gordie and the Babe
9:45 - 10:15: try and manage blood pressure while run-walking through the field to get home as soon as possible since I forgot the Babe's suckie and he is having a fit
10:15: madly rip off rubber boots, since the field is still sloppy wet with mud, and whip out a boob
10:45: change poopy diaper
11:00: check email or try to write day's blog (with one hand) whilst Babe is relatively contented in my arms
12:15 p.m.: Adoring and Wonderful Husband comes home for mac and cheese, or some variation thereof
12:50: Adoring and Wonderful Husband off to the sanctuary that is his office...again
1:00: try and finish emails and/or blog
1:15: calm fussy Babe by whipping out a boob; stress that I'm feeding him too much, that he'll grow up having to wash himself with a stick if I'm not careful
1:45: change poopy diaper
2:00: go upstairs for quiet time, and (please God) an actual nap
3:00 - 4:00: worry that I am neglecting the Babe's emotional and intellectual development, so spend time reading to the Babe or talking to him or just doing something that They say will help him grow up to be one the smartest kids in class
4:00: madly sweep the floor, unload the dishwasher or throw a load of laundry in before Adoring and Wonderful Husband gets home
4:45: Adoring and Wonderful Husband walks in the door; hand off the Babe to Adoring and Wonderful Husband for Free Time! to finishing sweeping the floor, unloading the dishwasher or throwing a load of laundry in
4:45 - 10:00: Adoring and Wonderful Husband and I play Hot Potato with the Babe (whilst still swooning!); more boobs, diapers, fussiness, TV and guilt, in no particular order
9:45: go upstairs; take shower for the day
10:00: whip out a boob
10:30: change poopy diaper
10:45: swoon over the Babe (who is more perfect than I ever imagined!)
11:00 p.m.: settle in for three hours (please, God!) of uninterrupted sleep

Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

2 sweet nothing:

Anonymous said...

Hi guys,

I've gotta say... I LOVED that post... Really sheds some light on what you kids (all three of you) have been up to.

Bridgeee =)

Heather and Robin said...

Okay Robin and I could not stop laughing. Well rest assure that you are not the only one that was delusional before having a baby and your day now sounds decidely like mine....sigh!!!