Tuesday, November 14, 2006

tales from the cubicle farm

It’s started. Sifting through my mental list of possible blog topics inevitably takes me to one flavour: bold, dark roast coffee, from either Africa or Mexico (it doesn’t really matter which, because they’re both under-developed regions I can put my $1.79 behind.) In another word, work. Because high octane java is what I’m going to need to get my juices flowing everyday in just two short months, instead of the 9:00 am cuddle session with a warm and slightly snotty baby I currently count as part of my morning breakfast. (Zero calories, BTW.) Work. Is this the only topic that’s going to inspire fodder for this blog now? Because blogging about your 9 to 5 agenda is a slippery slope, my friends - one garbage mountain covered in dirt and snow I refuse to slide down this winter.

I have no doubt this will be hard. Because garbage mountains covered in dirt and snow can be so, so fun to slide down - if you have the right toboggan. And the right snow pants. And a helmet in case you happen to smash head first into a tree on your way down. Because garbage mountains can be dangerous. Especially if you write about sliding down them. And especially if your boss comes across your blog and decides that he or she isn’t comfortable with you writing about how your co-worker stole your low-fat yogurt out of the mini fridge, or about how your boss’ boss hinted in your private meeting with her that your boss might not be around for too much longer. It can be the stuff of Desperate Housewives in those ivory towers sometimes, except for all the warm and slightly snotty babies.

Yes, garbage mountains may be fun, but they pay for neither the mortgage, nor the morning coffee you pound back on the bus at 8:45 am like you do Jagermeister on a Saturday night. So on this issue, I am willing to self-censor. Which may mean there will be a lot more pictures of a warm and snotty baby on this site to greet you as you sip your morning java and do some blog checkin' come January, but I can honestly think of no better way to start the day.

0 sweet nothing: